You want to do your own online course but you don't know where to start? We have worked out what you need to know to get started:
- Think about what course you want to create and what your expertise and knowledge you have to provide customers with value (that is not necessarily a degree, if you are a nerd in a certain field you might be best equipped to teach about it)
- Before creating the actual course do you have a community that will be interested to purchase it? Such as a teacher who has their pupils - if not consider building your community first by engaging with like minded people on instagram or LinkedIn to build up a crowd before you make your actual course product. Buyers don’t appear magically!
- Within your area of expertise pick a subject that you are sure will sell. But how can you be sure?
Think about the reasons why people buy online courses, before you answer this question ask yourself who is going to buy my course? And then determine:
- Is it relevant to their lives?
- How will it help them? What is the learning outcome?
- Will they spend money on that learning outcome?
“Specific Topic + Specific Target Audience = Selling Course.”
If you already have an audience come up with 3-4 course titles and ask them which one they are most interested in! Consider pre selling the course
Keep in mind that your course aims to help people learn something new and transform their lives.
- Sketch out the course curriculum and segment it into segments recommended is 7-10 min in length (that is about 1000-2000 words on a sheet). Make sure the subject has a relevant and catchy title as well as a clear learning outcome.
- Start recording! Read our guides on how to take care of when filming and don't expect the first take to be perfect! We recommend recording a segment at least three times to get it right for your course.
- Publish your course and market it - More on marketing here.